Monday 9 May 2011

Celebrating Mother's Day

My Mother's Day celebrations actually started on Thursday when Skye brought home a beautiful card she had made at Family Day Care. Then on Friday I was forced (no really) to open my present early because half way through making Red Velvet Cupcakes for our celebrations my hand mixer blew up, so I was left with no choice but the break out my new Stand Mixer, yes I was so disappointed ;-). I was even more excited when I fired that baby up and realised she is actually quieter than my old hand mixer, so I can bake away while Skye sleeps without worrying she will wake early.




Technically we planned a Mother's Day Weekend so we could spend time with both grandma's and not have to rush. We had hoped to see one of the great grandmas too but she is travelling in Borneo at the moment (go Nannie Annie!). We started on Saturday night with a beautiful baked dinner at Luke's mum's house. Skye got to experience her first lamb bone and was very excited, I think she was channelling her inner Viking as she striped the meat off that bone and tossed it on the floor. She even managed to polish off 2 pieces of corn on the cob afterwards - I have no idea where she gets her appetite from...

After a great nights sleep rugged up in the flannelet sheets with the wood fire crackling, we woke to Luke cooking us all bacon and eggs and making tea. It always tastes so much better when its made for you - something you don't appreciate while you live at home and mum cooks pretty much everything.



For lunch we went to my mum's house and enjoyed a simple, relaxed outdoor BBQ. It was actually colder inside than out and we managed to find a nice little sun trap to enjoy our meal. Skye slept through the whole event, she must have still been digesting her huge dinner from the night before. The whole weekend was full of hugs, laughter and food and best of all, I didn't have to wash up once.



I would like to take this opportunity to again say a very special Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful mum, I don't think I really appreciated all that my mum did until I became a mum myself and saw just how much work is needed to take care of a family. After ten years of living with my husband and feeling I was an independent adult, I now feel like I need my mum more than ever before. She is still someone I turn to for guidance and advice and we speak almost every day about the good, the bad and the mundane. I can only hope that I am able to be as loving, supportive and nonjudgmental with my own children.

I still need my mummy very much and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...