Monday 6 June 2011

I’m Back Baby!

It has taken a few weeks to get over my recent chest infection but thankfully I have made a full recovery and have been able to return to the gym (yes my house is also thankful see here). In my infinite wisdom I decided that a Spin class was as good a time as any to get back into the swing of things… mistake! I have a love/hate relationship with Spin classes, the lactic acid build up makes my legs freeze up, the sudden changes in speed almost cause me to pass out and lets not even mention how uncomfortable the damn seats are! But there is no denying their effectiveness and they are perfect for people wanting big results in a short amount of time so I try to make it to classes when I can. Below is a rare shot of me pretending to be happy about being on a spin bike, note the interesting shade of purple on my face.

P1000426

After only a couple of weeks I had lost considerable motivation to work out, it hasn’t helped that the weather on the Central Coast has begun to resemble an Arctic Frost. But I knew I would feel worse if I didn’t take the chance to get my heart pumping again and putting it off only makes it harder, so I layered up, toughened up and got over it. I started off feeling a little wobbly and was quickly re-acquainted with the horrific seats but the music is always pretty good in these classes so I switched off and followed the instructions. I really did struggle to get through that class and was so relieved when it was all over. I went straight home for a hot shower but alas I was still limping the next day from my muscles protesting their harsh treatment.

So the Spin class was a bit of an unwelcomed return, but my next class was one of my favourites – Kick Boxing! What is not to love about kicking and punching a large freestanding bag with music blasting in the background? And I have to admit, I feel pretty tough in my boxing gloves. I am significantly calmer after venting on these poor bags and that class was all it took for me to remember why I love going in the first place. Strangely I was sorer after the Kickboxing class, probably because I was a little much more enthusiastic, but it was a good pain, a productive pain, a sign that I was back in my happy place. It took another week or so before I would say I was keen to go to a class, but I knew I would enjoy myself once I started and I left every class beaming.

Its easy to let a small set back derail a fitness program and it can be very difficult to find your motivation when it is easier to stay at home especially as the weather gets colder. I read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks to create a habit like healthy eating or regular exercise and only 3 days to break it. I try to keep this in mind when I lose motivation for anything I am doing because it reminds me that my enthusiasm will return eventually. It’s safe to say I am now back to my normal fitness loving self and actually enjoying not coming out of classes wringing wet as the temperature drops. It took a little time, but it was definitely worth the effort.

I can’t believe I actually shared that picture – the things I do to make a point!

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for stopping by Muddled Up Mumma earlier. Great to find your blog. I have a chest infection at the moment and can't wait for life to get back to normal as my little man has it too! Looking forward to following you. Cheers, Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie! Thanks for stopping by. Oh you got a double dose of nasty with you both being sick, best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete

Come on, gimme some sugar xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...