Monday 26 September 2011

Care Packages for New Mums

Something I remember quite vividly from those first few weeks and months of being a new mummy was how annoying it was to have to think about what to have for dinner and then finding the motivation to cook it. Fortunately I had been organised enough beforehand to cook some meals and have them ready in the freezer for those “I just can’t muster cooking a meal tonight” moments and they really helped to take the pressure off.

For my 2 friends who recently came home with their new babies I thought this would make a great welcome home present. It didn’t have to be anything complicated, just something that could be pulled out of the freezer and reheated, the only cooking required would be to add rice or pasta and you are ready to go. I chose to make Spaghetti Bolognese (minus the onion for breastfeeding) and Lamb Ragout in the slow cooker because I knew they both froze well and the flavours shouldn’t cause any protests by the newborns. Thank you to everyone on Twitter who offered suggestions for suitable meals too!

014

 

To make the pack a little more interesting I also made some muffins and banana bread which I pre-sliced and placed in snap lock bags for when you are looking for something to nibble on while you are feeding. The labels had a simple congratulations message which was personalised for each baby.

002

These care packages were well received by both families and were an inexpensive and practical gift to make when you are unsure what to get for a new mummy who seems to have just about everything they need already!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...