Thursday 13 October 2011

Are You Getting Enough Fruit?

I don’t know about you but there never seems to be enough fruit in our house. Well, not enough for me to get much of a share anyway. Skye will pretty much choose fruit over any other food stuff offered to her (including Tiny Teddies) and it is normal for her to consume 3 – 4 servings of fruit over the course of a day. I am proud of her healthy and varied diet and put a lot of effort into ensuring that she gets a good balance of not just fruit, but vegetables, meat, dairy and whole grains while having a place for the treats too. I am sorry to say that my own diet does not enjoy the same level of fresh options. 

fruit buffetImage Credit

It’s not that I don’t love eating fresh fruit, its just that as I peer into the fruit bowl each day I make a choice, and that choice is to ensure that Skye has the fresh fruit available as her first snack option as opposed to having something processed. If I am mad enough to splash out on banana’s right now, Skye is the one who gets to indulge. Mummy Martyrdom at its finest.

bananaImage Credit

So what do I choose instead of a nice crunchy apple or juicy orange? In a word, crap. A couple of choccie biscuits, a muesli bar, the discarded packet of Tiny Teddies, another cup of coffee, basically all the rubbish I try to prevent Skye from eating because I know how many empty calories they contain. It hasn’t impacted on my waist line yet but if it continues I know it’s only a matter of time.

Today as I make my way around the supermarket I am going to make sure that I put a few extra pieces of fruit in the trolley just for me and really make the effort to take care of my own diet as much as Skye’s.

How many pieces of fruit have you eaten this week?

fruit saladImage Credit

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...