Tuesday 30 October 2012

Goodbye Little Home

I've made my fair share of complaints about our home since starting this blog. The lack of space, the too close for comfort neighbours, and of course, my total disdain for my kitchen. But now that it is time for us to move on to bigger and better things I can't help but feel a little sentimental. There are a lot of wonderful memories in this home. 

Our first home. 

Before
After
The home that we bought wide eyed and naive back in 2003, as an unmarried, childless couple who had never experienced financial commitment beyond a personal loan for a small car. The home with the lavendar purple walls, cheap carpets and a leaky bathroom who's modest dimensions only came to light as I unpacked the boxes of kitchenware and promptly ran out of room. 
Before
After
Since then we have put our own stamp on this place, we have replaced flooring, painted walls, rendered exteriors, installed light fittings, air conditioning and blinds. We have renovated bathrooms, relocated hot water systems, landscaped gardens and erected a gigantic garage and carport. But none of this makes me sad to go, it's the life we have lived while in this house that I feel so connected to. The incredible, life-changing moments that have shaped us and made us the people we are today, these are the things I think of when I think of this house. 


In the time we have lived here we have got engaged and married, had (almost) 2 children, started a business, completed degree's, changed career's, celebrated milestones, mourned losses, forged long-term friendships, gained true independence and become adults. We have loved, fought, forgiven and discovered who we really are. 

These last nine years make up what is possibly the most significant period of our lives and as excited as I am to be moving onto the next stage, I never want to forget the things we have achieved while we have been here.


This little home will always be special to me and while we may have outgrown its physical dimensions, the impact on our lives is far greater than its square metres would suggest. 


I hope the new owners will enjoy living here just as much as we have and look forward to all the memories we have ahead of us in our new home.

Does your first home hold a special place in your heart? 

Do you think a house can have an impact on the path your life takes or am I just hopped up on pregnancy hormones?!?

Joining in with Jess at Dairy of a SAHM for #iBOT, who is taking a leap into a new bloggy home.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...