Monday 26 November 2012

Happy 3rd Birthday Skye!

Today my baby girl turns 3.




The first day we met seems like a lifetime ago and only yesterday all at once. Nothing seems to mess with your sense of time more than having babies.




I was so relieved to make it through the first year I didn't feel sad to be losing "my baby". As her 2nd birthday neared I was taken aback by how quickly she had become a toddler and wondered if I was capable of handling all the joy and frustrations of that stage.




But despite weeks of planning and prepping for her party last weekend, realising that having a 3rd birthday party meant that Skye was actually going to be turning 3 hadn't quite hit home until just now.

Being up to your ass in printables and zucchini slice will do that to you.

More on that later in the week.

I know Skye isn't going to be dramatically different today than she was yesterday, the growing up itself is gradual, but somehow officially reaching that milestone makes things feel different.




I am noticing what a big girl she is becoming and it excites and scares me seeing her grow. She settled into sleeping in a big bed like it was the most natural thing on earth. One night she was sleeping in a cot, the next she was in a new house in a new bed without so much as a question mark.




I knew that independent streak would start to work in my favour eventually.

Then there is the talking.

So. Much. Talking.

How is it even possible that someone so small has that many things to say?!? It doesn't always make sense and there are days when I tell her to stop talking simply for the chance to hear myself think, but the headaches are far outweighed by the convenience of her being able to express her wants and needs clearly. Even when those wants or needs are in direct opposition to my own.

There are days when Skye's testing of the boundaries completely overwhelm me. Particularly now I am so exhausted and lacking in any kind patience. But the more I get to understand her will, the more equipped I feel to guide her choices.

Right now Skye's whole world revolves around pussycats, unicorns and My Little Pony's.

There is no such thing as too much pink.

Any attempt to dress her in another colour is met with the matter-of-fact statement "that's not very cute".




I am learning to pick my battles and clashing prints and Minnie Mouse ears just aint one of them.

From the first week of Skye's life she showed signs of her independent, strong willed personality. It continues to blow me away that someone so little can have such a big personality, almost like she still has to grow into it. But I hope that self confidence stays with her as she gets older and she continues to bless us with her cheeky, sunny, loving ways as the milestones keep flying by.

Happy Birthday my beautiful Skye, I am so thankful you chose me to be your mummy x




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...